Sunday, April 28, 2013

Blog Post 14

Teacher knows if you've done the E-reading
This article is very intriguing. I think it's a bit odd that some professors are so dependent on the E-book. Some students don't open their books through out the semester and do just fine while others highlight every thing they deem important. Every student is different. Luckily, one of the professors realized that grades should not be dependent on how much they open their book. Maybe, their class isn't challenging enough or maybe they take good notes in class. The article talks about a program that rates students on how often they read their E-book. This rating is reported to the professors which allows them to see how well each student is doing in the class in relation to how frequently they use their book.
I personally as a teacher would not use it to a high standard if at all. It would be nice to be able to track how often the students are reading, but I feel like the students could find kinks in the system. Like stated in the article, students could find equivalent excuses like "the dog ate my homework" to justify why they weren't reading as much as they should or why it looked as if they weren't. I personally don't use my books as often as I'm sure my professor would like, so I couldn't require my students to read their's more. I have to write things down to remember them, which doesn't help with the E-book unless they fixed the notepad tool. I like the tool that allows you to track how well each student is doing in comparison to how frequently they use their book.
I would not like this technology to be incorporated into any of my classes. Most of my classes don't even require a book. Plus, lectures typically don't come specifically from the assigned book. Therefore, reading the book isn't really the most important aspect of class. It's more about lecture notes and PowerPoints. If there was a tracker as to how frequently and how long you review chapter notes/PowerPoints and how soon before exams, that would be helpful for the teacher.
I would like to ask them: 1) Do you give a grade based on how frequently they use their E-Books or is it merely optional? 2) Would you change the technology from the book to your specific notes and PowerPoints since your classes are mostly virtual?

1)How do you learn best? (highlighting book, talking about concepts, writing down information, etc.) 2) Do you feel like the more you read the book the better you do on quizzes and in the course overall?
How do find that students do better by reading the book more frequently than those who use other methods of studying for tests?
Is this technology just to see who studies far before tests compared to those who cram the night before?
SPY

No comments:

Post a Comment