Sunday, March 3, 2013

Blog Post #7

Make things happen
Randy Pausch said, “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." This quote particularly stands out to me because he did such an amazing job teaching his story to so many people. His "Last Lecture" was based off of his book which he wrote in order to teach his sons how to grow up without having a father figure. His book was to help them when he couldn't physically be there as a parent.  I like this quote because he was told he would not live much longer, something that he could not change, it was out of his control, but he still bettered himself when most people would have become depressed and feeling a bit of worthlessness. Make the most out of the time you have here, because everyone dies, but not everyone lives.

"Failing to plan is planning to fail." and "You can always change your plan, but only if you have one." What can you do without a plan? Planning helps map out your day, week, month, or just short schedule. This will help you stick by a guide and help utilize your free time rather than wasting it. We are too forgetful to go day by day without a good schedule for ourselves. Planning ahead is a great task and teaches you great time management skills. It makes you make time for the important things and manage your time effectively. 


"The key question to keep asking is, 'Are you spending your time on the right things?' Because time is all you have." What are you doing with your time that is bettering you or someone else? You should not waste time, every second can be used in betterment. Achieve your dreams, no one can do it for you. As an educator, I will most likely have some of his quotes in my classroom. Randy Pausch is so motivating to me. His story truly touches me, as I know it does for many others as well. His story can be sad to you or it can be a motivational story. His story can help push you to better yourself for you and others who depend on you. As a teacher you must leave your mark somehow. I hope that I leave mine as the teacher who always challenged her students and encouraged them to be the better person they know they can be. Guide your students in the most positive way you can, encourage them to be individuals, originals, not a copy, and help them achieve their childhood dreams.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that Pausch is incredible encouragement on how to lead your life. I also live by this statement you made: "The key question to keep asking is, 'Are you spending your time on the right things?' Because time is all you have." What are you doing with your time that is bettering you or someone else? You should not waste time, every second can be used in betterment.

    I always try to make myself better. If I am a better person today than I was yesterday I have succeeded, and I work to never be who I was yesterday. With that I believe it is not good enough to just be good yourself. You must invest yourself in someone else. It is our obligation (especially as teachers) to make disciples of what we have found to be true and good. If we fail to do this than it dies with us. We must leave a legacy and an inheritance to the generations behind us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though this lecture was addressed to his kids, every educator can take many lessons from it!

    ReplyDelete