Friday, February 22, 2013

Blog Post #6

Networked Student
Networked Student Diagram
The networked student searched online about the "american psyche". This student looked through many different scholarly peer-reviewed articles online. Once he found an article he liked, he could bookmark this website or article in a social bookmarking website. From there, he could look at other articles bookmarked by others on the same topic. In a way, it's like Pinterest. You can pin things you have interest in. Others can see what you have pinned in reference to what category they are looking in.
The teacher is still needed because the student must be taught where to look or how to search. There are many things to know about networking and searching the internet for valid information. Not everything you find on the internet is true! For example, the Allstate insurance commercial where the girl found a "French Model" on the internet which she had a blind date with. Prime example that not everything posted is true. Blogs for example are mainly opinion based. Some people may not know that and try to pull information off of a blog and end up with invalid information. Teachers are still vital in networking. They still help students when they become lost, redirect them, teach them how to properly ask for advice or help, or even contact someone about their blog.

A 7th Grader's PLN
I thought the assignment they did was very neat where they implemented video, sound, words, and images in their blog/assignment. But, I do have to disagree and say that it isn't the best thing for me. Though book assignments are very boring and I would much rather do a fun assignment such as this, I always get so sidetracked online. That's where technology gets the best of me. Though I am getting better about getting my work done online, my mind still wanders. For instance, if a video is on YouTube that I have to watch, I am also going to watch another one that comes up on the side of the page as a suggestion. Of course I'll watch a third and a fourth. I can't say that is such a bad thing though, since they usually are informational and educational videos related to what we are covering in class.
I guess my point is, it is a great idea to have fun activities in class or online and utilize technology and the internet. But a downfall to it would be the students, like me, who can't sit still that long or wander off away from the assignment.

1 comment:

  1. Ah responsibility. And time management. Two important traps for all students! But we can create projects that incorporate the principles of connectivism. Baldwin County is now ephasizing the use of challenge based, project-based and problem-based learning strategies at all grade levels. These efforts are similar to the networked student's approach to learning except the approaches vary according to grade. So don't wander too far away. Get ready to be a Networked Teacher!

    ReplyDelete