Sunday, February 10, 2013

Blog Post #4

First Graders Create Their Own Read-Along Audiobook

Dinosaurs
I read this blog first then read along as I listened to the audiobook. The kids did so well in creating this! The interviewer's voice is so precious! I loved that they chose to do this assignment on dinosaurs. They also depicted some of the dinosaurs as nice. Even though some scared the two of them. The girl, Annie, climbed out of the tree house to pet the pteranodon. She even fed the dinosaurs flowers! 
I liked that they had a little lesson inside of the book. They learned what a colony was and how a colony worked. Also, they learned that some dinosaurs leave the colony to get food for the rest of the family. 
I love their excitement in the audiobook. You can tell that they thoroughly enjoyed doing this podcast. 

Judy Scharf's "What is a Podcast?"
I enjoyed reading her posts about podcasting. I did not know that a podcast was a mix between a broadcast and an Ipod. It makes sense now that it's been brought to my attention. Podcasts are fun to incorporate into the curriculum. Students love being able to create things such as these. They are convenient because they can be very simple and cheap to do, they can last forever, and they are fun to create. Podcasts can help students work together in groups while completing a fun task. I read through some of the ideas for podcast projects and found a handful of fun assignments that I could use in my future classroom. For instance, an interview with Mickey and Minnie Mouse or even with Ken and Barbie. Younger students would have a blast with assignments like that! 

Podcasting with First Grade
The children began by stating how excited about creating a podcast with the Magic Tree House. The drum roll sound effects were cute throughout the recording. The students recorded in different places outside of the classroom. They recorded in the hallway for example.
The students were thrilled that they could be listened to on people's computers and ipods across the world. This probably had something to do with the second graders and how they received comments from teachers across the world. 
I attempted to leave a comment on the blog, but it would not load correctly for some reason. Instead, I subscribed via email to Langwitches.I will definitely keep up with this specific blog in the future and utilize the resources provided to ensure I incorporate such a fun activity as podcasting into my lesson plans.

2 comments:

  1. Do you think you will be a podcasting teacher?

    Thoughtful. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of letting my students create a read along audiobook. I love the excitement that these kids showed. I feel that when a student enjoys the assignment they will learn more.
    Podcasting was interesting to me also. I hadn't ever thought of what a podcast actually was either. I love first grade students. That is my ideal grade to teach. This class seems overwhelming to me at times but it makes me so excited and eager to do these things in my own classroom. I enjoyed your blog post! Keep up the good work and good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete